History of Methodism in Hampton
1926 - The move to Percy Road
Click on image to enlarge
The first Church in Percy Road (now the Hall) was opened on 27th March 1926, by Mrs J Raybould, with the opening service conducted by Dr Dinsdale T Young. According to the article in the Methodist Recorder of the time:
The opening services in connection with the Wesley Hall, Hampton-on-Thames, furnished a very happy beginning for the new era in the history on the Society at Hampton. Friends from other parts of the Teddington Circuit gathered in goodly numbers to rejoice with the Hampton folk in the dawning of the day long prayed for and longed for.
Outside the new building, at 3:30 on Saturday afternoon, the hymn Great is the Lord our God, And let His praise be great was sung. Prayer was offered by the Rev W H Tebbit, of Teddington Baptist Church, and the Apostles' Creed (led by Rev E E Charles MA, Vicar of Hampton) was recited. After this the contractor (Mr H Somerford) handed a souvenir key to Mrs J D Lindsay, with which that lady unlocked the door of the Primary Hall, Mr George E Withers FRIBA, the architect, handed a similar key to Mrs W J Raybould, who unlocked the door of the main Hall and formally declared the building open for Divine worship.
A full congregation having gathered in the building, the Rev W J Bush duly complied with legal requirements by reading various documents, and then called upon Dr Dinsdale T Young to announce the hymn How pleasant, how divinely fair, O Lord of hosts, Thy dwellings are!.
Psalm lxxxiv was chosen for the lesson, and Hebrews X 35 for the text of a stirring sermon on "Confidence", which term the veteran preacher characterised as "a pearl of a word". If we have not this "confidence", not only as to out present salvation but as to our future sanctification and glorification, we are living below the level of our privilege, Dr Young said. This "confidence" has its mystical side, but it is also a great working and hero-making force. It is rooted, not in a system nor in a creed nor in a temper of the age, but in Him Who sites at the right hand of God. A helpful service closed wit the singing of From all that dwell beneath the skies, Let the Creator's praise arise."
The land had been bought for £532, and £4,377 spent on having the buildings erected towards the rear of the site, leaving room for a new church to be built later on, these buildings then becoming the church halls.
By 1961 and the celebration of the centenary of Methodism in Hampton, plans were well advanced for the building of this new church.
Information mostly from the collection of the late Bob Barwell.